Wednesday 8 August 2012

Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations



"Tear" dress

Skeleton Dress for the Circus collection

 "Bug" necklace

Café Society

What a beautiful whimsical era…the café society. How decadent and carefree the 1930s were.
I wish I could visit The Met's Spring 2012 Costume Institute exhibition, Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations, gives a superb insight into this, I feel like I’ve been transported into one of the most superb and magical eras of all time…
Fair enough the Italian designers are both from different eras, but truly their work is breathtaking! Simply breathtaking…
I love the fact that the galleries are set out into 7 themed sections/galleries: "Waist Up/Waist Down," "Ugly Chic," "Hard Chic," "Naïf Chic," "The Classical Body," "The Exotic Body," and "The Surreal Body.
Ever since I first saw a piece of Schiaparelli’s craftsmanship in a fashion design book in the library many many years ago, I have adored Schiaparelli (with my love of all things Parisian, she worked in Paris from I think the 1920s until the fashion house closed in the 1950’s)
What I love the most and find the most inspiring is that her work was closely associated with the Surrealist movement, my favorite piece being the "Tear" dress, the Skeleton Dress for the Circus collection  and "Bug" necklace she created in 1938…stunning…simply stunning…



No comments:

Post a Comment